Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A Meseidy Adventure: Lost and Rescued at First Landing

Hold on to your seats folks because this one is a doozy! Yesterday I bought myself a new bike and I was sooooo excited! I even got myself a bike rack, helmet and everything. So after a long day and having bought a new toy I decided that I want to play with my new toy. Naturally! Having at least a good 2 hours of daylight left, I loaded my bike on to the bike rack and off I went to the State Park not far from my house. It was a beautiful day and I had a new bike!

I got to the park, parked my car, unloaded my bike and I was off. It was really very nice, cool air and quiet. So I admit it has been awhile since I rode a bike, so after about 2 1/2 to 3 miles I am pretty beat. I decide to stop at a bench along the lake to read. This is where the adventure begins. I realize that it is starting to get late and this is my first time on the trail. I am thinking that the trail can't be more then 4 miles so I have 1 more mile to go. I hop on my bike and I am off. I realize I am still tired and my legs feel like jelly. Finally I reach "the end" but it isn't the end I was expecting. DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR?! I had assumed that the trail would loop and land me back at my car......but guess what it didn't! At this point it is getting dark.....very dark and I have NO CLUE where I am. There isn't a soul in sight and I don't know WHERE MY CAR IS! By this point I have gone the entire length of the dotted line (refer to the map, red trail). I start to ride up a road which I think had to have been another 1/2 mile at least! It is DARK and I am starting to FREAK OUT! WHERE IS MY CAR.....WHERE AM I.....WHAT IS THAT SOUND IN THE WOODS? In the distance I see a light.....A LIGHT! I go towards the light, (usually they say not to do this but I thought in this case it would be a good idea.) It is a contact station.....but I make no "contact" because, of course, there is no one there! Finally at this point I pull out my cell phone, first I call a friend that frequents the park, but it dawns on me that I am going to be TOTALLY HUMILIATED and he would probably never hear the end of it. I hang up and call one of my girlfriends who I know has come to this park on a few occasions...she has NO CLUE where I am! I beg her to come and get me, she says she is going to call one of the guys, I beg her not too because I feel like a total idiot. PLEASE JUST COME AND GET ME.....she is on her way. A few minutes after hanging up I see lights in the distance coming my way. First I think, Great! Someone who can help me...then I start to think No! psycho coming to kidnap me. I move myself to the side of the little building to hide from the approaching vehicle but to no avail. I am blinded by the headlights and cannot tell if this could be friend or foe. However, to my relief it is a ranger coming to my rescue!

Ranger: Mame, are you alright?

Meseidy: No! I can't peddle anymore and I don't know where my car is...can you help me?

The kind ranger loads me and my bike into the bed of his truck and off we go. When we pull out of the park we are at 64TH AND ATLANTIC......HOLY COW! (please refer to the map, greeb trail). I never would have found my car!

I have yet again managed to be an Idiotic Fool! The moral of the story is...don't do this at home and be grateful for your friendly State Park Ranger.

The End


technorati tag:

No comments: