Friday, August 25, 2006

Deep Thoughts by Meseidy: Bored Out of My Mind

I am sitting here in the office "bored out of my mind" (as if you couldn't tell) and I started to think about the phrase "bored out of my mind". Why "bored out of my mind"? What makes that phrase appropriate or even to make sense? Can we really be bored out of out minds? So I decided to do a little research online. I went and looked up the definition of the work "bored" and this is what I found:
Main Entry: 1bore
Pronunciation: 'bor
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): bored; borĂ‚·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English borian; akin to Old High German borOn to bore, Latin forare to bore, ferire to strike
transitive verb
1 : to pierce with a turning or twisting movement of a tool
2 : to make (as a cylindrical hole) by boring or digging away material
intransitive verb
1 a : to make a hole by or as if by boring b : to sink a mine shaft or well
2 : to make one's way steadily especially against resistance
- OR -
Main Entry: 6bore
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): bored; borĂ‚·ing
:to cause to feel boredom

So if you really start to think about it "bored out of my mind" makes a lot of sense. The root "to bore" is to tunnel or dig, to dig out if you will. Bored is to cause the feeling of boredom so in essence it makes sense that when something cause the feeling of boredom we are compeled to dig or if you will "bore" out of our mind to get away from the boredom.

technorati tag:

No comments: