Friday, August 11, 2006

Week One: Cradle Massage & Watch Me!

Yesterday was our first day of obedience class and I am disappointed to say that Buster was labeled the problem child. His first demonstration of defiance was when we were instructed to do this exercise called cradle and massage. In the class there are 5 dogs all small breeds, a Cavalier, Pug, Puggal (pug/beagle), Mini Dachshund and my main man Bustern (Jack Russel/Yorkie). First we did the cradle massage exercise. Buster is totally distracted, he wants to see what is going on, so he has no interest in me cradling or massaging him. I look around the room and all the other owners and their dogs are doing great, the dogs are loving the massage...but not my boy Buster! He is wiggling and trying everything possible to get out of my arms and nipping at my hands. The trainer tries to put bitter apple on my hands, but that lasted all of 1 min because it evaporates and he knows it, so he just starts to nip again. Finally we had to bribe him with a bone to chew on so he would stop chewing on me!

Afterwards we did "Watch Me", which is calling his name and getting him to look at you. Once he looks at you he gets treat. Buster had more interesting things to look at and I was defiantly not one of them. After many agonizing attempts he finally looked at me and got his treat. The thing is that the kid is nosy! At home we do pretty good with the exercises but in class he is all up in everyone's business. Alas, my child was pegged the problem child and I am sure he will be used as an example. I am sooo darn proud! :P

I will keep you posted on his progress.



tecrati tag:

No comments: