Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Ophelia is Coming....

Ms. Ophelia is making her way up the Outer Banks and looks like she may make a small fly by visit here to the Hampton Roads area. The truth is she isn't going to do anything, but give us some rain and wind and a good night sleep. Now I can't say the same for the Outer Banks, but we are going to be fine here. I myself am a hurricane veteran. I have been through at least 5 hurricanes, 2 hurricanes/typhoons in Guam, 2 in P.R. and one here in Virginia. The ones in Guam and P.R. were no sweat since you house is make out of concrete and you don't run the risk of it being blown away, the down side is no electricity or water for a while but if you prepare it can actually be fun. I remeber back home in P.R. on of our neighbors had a super industrial generator and ran cables to several houses so they could at least run their fridge and one air conditioner. Also, if one house had a generator you would let the neighbor store their food in the fridge, everyone helped everyone else out. I also became a pro at taking a bath with just 1 gallon of water, a cup and a washcloth, I would even manage to wash my hair.....now that takes skill. However I would not want to take on a full blown head on hurricane here in the states, I feel safer back home. I remember sleeping through I think Marilyn like it was nothing back in P.R. but when Isabell came her to VA, I admit I was nervous.

No comments: